Friday, September 10, 2021

THE DARK SIDE OF OUR CULTURE

       

 

In every group of human beings throughout the world there is a “light” side and a “dark” side to their culture. No people are immune from their own weaknesses and selfishness. We may try to deny the black side of our culture but it is very active no matter how much denial people may engage in. 

 

In North America we live in a very individualistic society. What receives first attention and the most attention is our “self.” The individual sets the standard for what is important and necessary for the good life. Less and less is there any connection to the larger community. Life is all about what I want, what I need for success and what I set as the standard for truth. More and more, it all centers around the individual.

 

The black side of this rugged individualism is the complete absence of any discussion about responsibility for one another. The more I am centered on myself and my own wants the less and less I actually care for the other; the other human being whom I may not know personally but I share this earth with them.  We are meant to be responsible for our common humanity.

 

When we were in ethics  class we were given this simple little ditty: I have the right to swing my arm whenever I want to, but I have a responsibility never to swing my arm where your nose begins. 

 

Slowly, we as a society are recognizing that all human beings have rights. Gradually  we are recognizing that all marginal peoples have the same equal rights as those who hold power in society. This is gradually being accepted in groups of marginal peoples: the handicapped, aboriginal peoples, women and refugees. There are many basic rights that belong to every single human being born on this planet.

 

But the black side of our culture comes in all the demands that “I have rights!” This is true but very limited. You have rights to protection, safety, clean water and an education. But you also have equal responsibilities to work to support and protect the rights of others. This is where the discussion turns black and very selfish. So much of the demands that I have a right is not balanced by a clear statement: But I have responsibilities towards all other human beings. 

 

Too often, the demands that we heard from people demanding their rights are clear statements of selfishness. You must respect my basic human rights but I do not have a responsibility to contribute to the common good. The demands that we hear shouted in the media are too often an undisguised demand of selfishness.

 

The entire culture needs to pay attention to so many of our new Canadians who are working hard at two or three jobs, and sending money back to their parents and family in their country of origin. Look what sense of responsibility these people are exercising towards their own relatives who are living in poverty. These hard working new comers are working toward the common good of others. Our individualistic culture has much to learn from the responsible values of these new Canadians. 

 

I want to work to promote the rights of all my fellow citizens, especially the marginalized and those without social power. But, I want to be a responsible human being and work toward promoting the common good. I want to  work to be a responsible human being who cares deeply about the welfare of my fellow human being. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

DRIVE OUT THE DEMONS

Does the feast of the Ascension of Jesus leaving you wondering, ‘Now, what do we do?”   There are several different ways that this last appe...